- About Us
- Research & Data
- Publications & Forms
- Education & Outreach
- For Fishermen/Dealers
- For SEFSC Personnel
Sea Turtles and Fisheries Observers
On this page, you can find:
- Sea Turtle Life History Form and Manual
- Training Presentations
- Equipment Inventory Lists
- Training Videos
- Related Technical Memoranda
- Environmental Impact Statement on Reduction of Sea Turtle Bycatch and Bycatch Mortality in the Pelagic Longline Fishery
- Handling and Release Quick Reference Guides
- Workshops on Highly Migratory Species
The files below are in PDF format. If you having trouble opening the pdf file, right click on the link, then click "Save Link Target As..." or "Save Link As..." and save to your hard drive, then open with PDF reader software: download Adobe Reader .
Turtle Life History Form
Sea Turtle Observer
Manual (June 2009, updated Jan
- National Marine Fisheries
Service Southeast Fisheries Science Center. 2008. Sea Turtle
Research Techniques Manual. NOAA
Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-579, 92pp.
- National Marine Fisheries Service Southeast Fisheries Science Center. 2008. Careful release protocols for sea turtle release with minimal injury. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-580, 130pp.
Identification (addressed in
Chapter 1 of the Sea Turtle
Research Techniques Manual)
- Fibropapilloma (addressed in Chapter 2: Handling of the Sea Turtle Research Techniques Manual)
Detailed information with source/part numbers:
- Flipper tagging
- PIT tagging Kit
- Biopsy Kit
for Boated Turtles [pdf]
Kit for Non-Boated Turtles [pdf]
- NaCl Kit
- Rod Case [pdf]
The training videos below will be downloaded onto your local computer for viewing. They are MPG files. The video size in megabytes (MB) is listed as well as the length of the video in minutes. Depending on the speed of your connection and computer this may take several minutes. download QuickTime .
Sea Turtle Observer Video [mpg]
complete version (103.0 MB) 34:23 min
**Please note that this video file is the complete version encompassing all the videos below and may take a couple minutes to download. You may view individual chapters below:
(2.4 MB) 0:48 min
Identification (14.5 MB) 4:48 min
Determination (1.7 MB) 0:33 min
- Procedures for
Non-Boated Turtles (7.4 MB) 2:27
- Procedures for
Boated Turtles (6.4 MB) 2:06 min
- External Exam
(19.9 MB) 6:36 min
& Resuscitations (6.0
MB) 2:00 min
- Tools and
Preparations (2.2 MB) 0:43 min
- Flipper Tagging
(8.1 MB) 2:41 min
(12.7 MB) 4:12 min
- PIT Tagging
(7.9 MB) 2:36 min
- Biopsy Sample
Collection (3.3 MB) 1:05 min
Collection & Handling
(5.8 MB) 1:54 min
- Summary & Credits (4.7 MB) 1:33 min
Removing Fishing Gear from Longline Caught Sea Turtles [mpg] (257.0 MB) 25:13 min
Video mpeg details the tools and techniques for safely removing hooks and line from incidentally captured sea turtles.
In addition to the complete mpeg version, this video has been translated into Spanish and Vietnamese and sectioned into chapters:
Removing Fishing Gear from Longline Caught Sea Turtles
extraer aparejos de pesca de las tortugas atrapadas en sedales de
Section 1: Tools
for removing fishing gear from sea turtles
Leatherbacks Aboard [mpg] (92.4 MB) 9:03 min
Video demonstrating a technique to bring a leatherback sea turtle aboard a commercial fishing vessel to safely release it from fishing gear.
» More videos are available.
- National Marine Fisheries
Service Southeast Fisheries Science Center. 2008. Careful release
protocols for sea turtle release with minimal injury.
NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-580, 130pp.
- National Marine Fisheries Service Southeast Fisheries Science Center. 2008. Sea Turtle Research Techniques Manual. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-579, 92pp.
of Sea Turtle Bycatch and Bycatch Mortality in the Pelagic Longline
Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, June 22, 2004
- Sea Turtle Handling/Release Guidelines: All Hook and Line Gear
- Sea Turtle Handling/Release Guidelines: Quick Reference for Atlantic Longline Gear (English version)
More on Sea Turtles
- Southeast Turtle Program
- Contact Staff
- Sea Turtle Stranding and Salvage Network (STSSN)
- Fisheries Observers
- Atlantic Sea Turtle Strategy
- Turtle Expert Working Group
- Atlantic Marine Assessment Program for Protected Species (AMAPPS)
- Cooperative Marine Turtle Tagging Program
- More Related Links
Photo Credit: Andy Bruckner, NOAA
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback