- About Us
- Research & Data
- Publications & Forms
- Education & Outreach
- For Fishermen/Dealers
- For SEFSC Personnel
Beaufort, NC Lab Galveston, TX/Lafayette, LA Lab Miami, FL Lab Panama City, FL Lab Pascagoula/Stennis, MS Labs
Marine Mammal Publications
- Adams, L & PE Rosel. 2006. Population structure of the Atlantic spotted dolphin, Stenella frontalis, in the Gulf of Mexico and western North Atlantic. Marine Biology 148:671-681
- Garrison, L.P. 2007. The Big Picture: Modeling Right Whales in Space and Time. In: The Urban Whale, Krauss, S.K. and Rolland, R. (eds.). Harvard University Press. Pgs 460-488.
- Sellas, A, RS Wells & PE Rosel. 2005. Mitochondrial and nuclear DNA analyses reveal fine scale geographic structure in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in the Gulf of Mexico. Conservation Genetics 6:715-728
- Garrison, L.P. 2007. Interactions between marine mammals and pelagic longline fishing gear in the U.S. Atlantic ocean between 1992-2004. Fishery Bulletin 105: 408-417.
- Hohn, A.A. R.Y. Ewing, and J. Zaias. 2007. Reproduction in Relation to Conservation and Commercial Exploitation, In: Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Cetacea: Whales, Porpoises and Dolphins, B.G.M. Jamieson and D.L. Miller (eds.). Vol. 7: 371-389.
- Litz, J.A. 2007. Social Structure, Genetic Structure, and Persistent Organohalogen Pollutants in Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Biscayne Bay, Florida. A Dissertation. Miami, FL: University of Miami. 140 p.
- Litz, J.A., Garrison L.P., Feiber, L.A., Martinez, A., Contillo, J.P., Kucklick, J.R. 2007. Fine Scale Spatial Variation of Persistent Organohalogen Pollutants in Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Biscayne Bay, Florida. Env. Sci. & Technol. 41(21):7222-7228.
- Viaud, K.A., M. Martinez Vergara, P.E. Gol'din, V. Ridoux, A.A. Öztürk, B. Öztürk, P.E. Rosel, A. Frantzis, A. Komnenou & A.J. Bohonak. 2007. Morphological and genetic differentiation of the Black Sea harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena relicta). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 338:281-294.
- Baron, S.C., Martinez, A., Garrison, L.P., Keith, E.O. 2008. Differences in acoustic signals from Delphinids s in the western North Atlantic and northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science 24(1): 1748-7692.
- Rosel, P.E. and H. Watts. 2008. Hurricane impacts on bottlenose dolphins in the northern Gulf of Mexico Gulf of Mexico Science 2008(1): 88-94.
- Viricel, E., A.E. Strand, P.E. Rosel, V Ridoux and P Garcia. 2008. Insights on common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) social organization from genetic analysis of a mass-stranded pod. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 63:173-185.
- Fertl, D. and P.E. Rosel. 2009. Albinism. In Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals. 2nd Ed. WF Perrin, B. Würsig & JGM. Thewissen (eds.). Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- Finneran, J.F., D.S. Houser, B. Mase-Guthrie, R.Y. Ewing, R.G. Lingenfelser. 2009. Auditory evoked potentials in a stranded Gervais' beaked whale (Mesoplodon europaeus). J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126:484
- Kingston S.E., L. Adams, and P.E. Rosel. 2009. Molecular systematics of the Delphininae (Cetacea: Odontoceti: Delphinidae): Comparing mitochondrial sequences and anonymous nuclear markers for phylogeny reconstruction in a rapidly radiating group. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 9: 245- 19 p doi: 10.1186/1471-2148-9-245
- Mirimin L., A. Westgate, E. Rogan, P. Rosel, A. Read, J. Coughlan & T. Cross. 2009. Population structure of short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in the North Atlantic Ocean as revealed by mitochondrial and nuclear genetic markers. Marine Biology. 156(5): 821-834 (and Erratum Marine Biology 2009 156(5):1087).
- Rosel, P.E., L. Hansen and A. Hohn. 2009. Variable habitat regimes promote population structure in a continuously distributed marine species. Molecular Ecology. 18: 5030-5045.
- Fairfield-Walsh, C. and Garrison, L.P. 2006. Estimated Bycatch of Marine Mammals and Turtles in the U.S. Atlantic Pelagic Longline Fleet During 2005. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-539, 47 pp.
- Fairfield-Walsh, C. and Garrison, L.P. 2006. Preliminary Estimates of Protected Species Bycatch Rates in the U.S. Atlantic Pelagic Longline Fishery Between 1 January and 31 March 2006. SEFSC Document #PRD-05/06-16: 15 p.
- Fairfield-Walsh, C. and Garrison, L.P. 2006. Preliminary Estimates of Protected Species Bycatch Rates in the U.S. Atlantic Pelagic Longline Fishery Between 1 April and 30 June 2006. SEFSC Document #PRD-05/06-19: 15 p.
- Garrison, L.P. 2005. Preliminary Estimates of Protected Species Bycatch Rates in the U.S. Atlantic Pelagic Longline Fishery During 1 July - 30 September, 2005. SEFSC Protected Resources Division Document #PRD-05/06-05. 17 p.
- Garrison, L.P. 2006. Preliminary Estimates of Protected Species Bycatch Rates in the U.S. Atlantic Pelagic Longline Fishery During 1 October - 31 December, 2005. SEFSC Protected Resources Division Document #PRD-05/06-16. 14 p.
- Garrison, L.P. 2006. Definining the North Atlantic Right Whale Calving Habitat in the Southeastern United States: An application of a habitat model. Draft report provided to NMFS Southeast Regional Office. 66 p.
- Garrison, L.P. 2006. Applying a spatial model to evaluate the risk of interactions between vessels and Right Whales in the Southeast United States ciritcal habitat. Draft report provided to NMFS Southeast Regional Office. 23 p.
- VHF - Radio Tracking of a North Atlantic Right Whale (Eubalaena Glacialis) Female and Calf in the Calving Ground: Preliminary Results
- Gulf of Mexico Bottlenose Dolphin Stock Identification Workshop
- Acoustic and Visual Survey of Cetaceans in the Waters of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
- Visual and Acoustic Survey of Humpback Whales (Megaptena novaeangliae) in the eastern and southern Caribbean Sea: Preliminary Findings
- Report of the Workshop to review current knowledge of the status of humpback whales (Megaptena novaeangliae) in the Eastern Caribbean and to discuss, plan, and coordinate future research
- SEFSC Cetacean Surveys - a presentation at the 14th Biennial meeting of the Society for Marine Mammalogy in Vancouver, B.C.
- Mitigating Right Whale Vessel Collisions
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback