- About Us
- Research & Data
- Publications & Forms
- Education & Outreach
- For Fishermen/Dealers
- For SEFSC Personnel
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Photo Credit: NOAA
Photo Credit: Andy Bruckner, NOAA
NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) conducts and supports activities that use live marine mammals and sea turtles. In 2007, the NMFS Science Board established a Task Team to develop a policy and an implementation plan in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and with the U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training (USGP) OSTP CFR (May 20, 1985, Vol. 50, No. 97).
All monitoring, and research projects involving marine mammals and marine turtles must be approved by the Regional NMFS Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee prior to the commencement of the project. Principal Investigators (PI) are to submit the completed Assurance of Animal Care Form to the Regional IACUC Office.
Assurance forms must be submitted for IACUC review 4 weeks prior to submitting a permit application.
Atlantic IACUC Chair
- Dr. Jim Bohnsack (SEFSC) - Chair
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback