- About Us
- Research & Data
- Publications & Forms
- Education & Outreach
- For Fishermen/Dealers
- For SEFSC Personnel
Acropora coral disease
White disease(s) commonly observed on Acropora palmata in the Florida Keys
Photo Credit: SEFSC
Our demographic monitoring study provides a valuable opportunity to gain insight on the disease(s) affecting Acropora spp. corals. In addition to collecting data on the prevalence and severity of disease, we have conducted experiments on disease transmission and progression. Through partnership with the Coral Disease and Health Consortium, we have been able to support investigation into the etiology of the disease(s).
- Williams DE, Miller MW (2010) Drivers of population decline in Acropora palmata in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Linking Science to Management: A Conference and Workshop on the Florida Keys Marine Ecosystem, Duck Key
- Polson SW, Higgins JL, Woodley CM (2009) PCR-based assay for detection of four coral pathogens Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium: 247-251
- Polson SW (2007) Comparative analysis of microbial community structure associated with acroporid corals during a disease outbreak in the Florida reef tract Dissertation, 824 pages, Medical University of South Carolina.
- Williams DE, Miller MW (2005) Coral disease outbreak: pattern, prevalence and transmission in Acropora cervicornis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 301: 119-128
- Benthic Ecosystem Assessment & Research
- Acropora Corals
» Demographic Monitoring
» Acropora Disease
- Coral Early Life History and Climate Change Impacts
- Aquarius Coral Restoration/Resilience Experiments (ACRRE)
- Reef and Fisheries Assessment of Navassa Island National Wildlife Refuge
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback