- About Us
- Research & Data
- Publications & Forms
- Education & Outreach
- For Fishermen/Dealers
- For SEFSC Personnel
Beaufort, NC Lab Galveston, TX/Lafayette, LA Lab Miami, FL Lab Panama City, FL Lab Pascagoula/Stennis, MS Labs
Coralliophila abbreviata, the short-coral snail, feeding on Acropora palmata
Photo Credit: SEFSC
Corallivorous snails are a significant source of mortality for Acropora spp corals. We have undertaken several related studies of their population biology and ecological role as predators of Acropora spp.
- Williams DE, Miller MW (2010) Drivers of population decline in Acropora palmata in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Linking Science to Management: A Conference and Workshop on the Florida Keys Marine Ecosystem, Duck Key
- Johnston L, Miller M (2007) Variation in life-history traits of the corallivorous gastropod Coralliophila abbreviata on three coral hosts Marine Biology 150(6): 1215-1225
- Williams DE, Miller MW (2005) Coral disease outbreak: pattern, prevalence and transmission in Acropora cervicornis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 301: 119-128
- Baums IB, Miller MW, Szmant AM (2003) Ecology of a corallivorous gastropod, Coralliophila abbreviata, on two scleractinian hosts. I: Population structure of snails and corals . Marine Biology 142(6): 1083-1091
- Baums IB, Miller MW, Szmant AM (2003) Ecology of a corallivorous gastropod, Coralliophila abbreviata, on two scleractinian hosts. II. Feeding, respiration and growth . Marine Biology 142(6): 1093-1101
- Miller MW, Baums IB, Williams DE, et al. (2002) Status of Candidate coral, Acropora palmata, and its snail predator in the upper Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary: 1998-2001. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-479
- Miller MW (2001) Corallivorous snail removal: evaluation of impact on Acropora palmata. Coral Reefs 19(3): 293-295
- Benthic Ecosystem Assessment & Research
- Acropora Corals
» Demographic Monitoring
» Acropora Disease
- Coral Early Life History and Climate Change Impacts
- Aquarius Coral Restoration/Resilience Experiments (ACRRE)
- Reef and Fisheries Assessment of Navassa Island National Wildlife Refuge
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback