- Mississippi Labs Home
- For Commercial Fishermen
- Gear Development
The Mississippi Laboratory is co-located in Pascagoula, MS and Stennis, MS.
3209 Frederic Street
Pascagoula, MS 39567
The Mississippi Laboratory was established in 1950 under the Department of Interior as a Bureau of Commercial Fisheries field station. In 1970, the laboratory was transferred to the Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. The Pascagoula Laboratory was recently rebuilt in November of 2009.
The Mississippi Laboratories consist of two branches:
The Mississippi Laboratories research activities are in response to resource management, environmental, and utilization needs and are by design inherently responsive to various legislative and fishing industry needs throughout the southeast region. We are also the home port of the NOAA Ships Gordon Gunter, Oregon II, and Pisces, which conduct scientific surveys of the health and abundance of fishery resources and marine mammals.
- Seafood Sampling by NOAA in Response to the BP/Gulf Oil Spill
- More information on seafood inspection
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529
Since the early 1970s, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has had a presence at Stennis Space Center on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The Southeast Fisheries Science Center lab at Stennis is one of NOAA National Marine Fisheries Services' regional science center labs.
The Stennis Lab:
- conducts shipboard surveys of living marine resources in the
- Gulf of Mexico
- Caribbean Sea
- South Atlantic Ocean
- researches the interactions of protected species with fishing gear used in the southeastern U.S.
- applies advanced technology to characterize fishery habitats, including
- satellite remote sensing
- geographic information systems
More About the MS Labs
Labs of the SEFSC
How Do I...?
- Distinguish a white marlin from a spearfish
- How do I report a stranded/ beached whale, dolphin, or turtle?
- How do I report a lionfish sighting?
- Access SouthEast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR)
- How do I report for my fishing/dealer permit requirements?
- How do I report a retrieved tag?
- How do I find current fishery closures?
- How do I adopt a billfish?
- How do I register my billfish tournament?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- Visit the SEFSC library
- How do I find NOAA staff?
- How do I apply for grant funding?
- How do I request permission to use a photo found on the website?
- How do I find It? Provide Website Feedback